Aldo (Palermo Red)

A bountiful place about food bearing plants.
alanmercieca
Site Admin

Aldo (Palermo Red)

Post by alanmercieca »

'Aldo (Palermo Red)' (Sugar Honey type of flavor)

This fig cultivar originates from a fig collector in the Bronx named Leon, Leon calls this fig cultivar Aldo, originally Leon's father acquired the fig tree. This cultivar of fig is a heavy producer of large breba figs of very good quality, this cultivar of fig is a not a heavy producer of main crop figs yet quality of main crop figs is still good. The eye splits like a star during wet conditions yet syrup drop inside the eye keeps figs from souring. Flesh of the figs is juicy, is sweet, is amber in color, flavor is excellent.

Here is a photo of an Aldo starter fig tree that I will be giving away.
P1080071_cropped.jpg
P1080071_cropped.jpg (901.8 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
alanmercieca
Site Admin

Re: Aldo (Palermo Red)

Post by alanmercieca »

This Aldo tree reacted like it was autumn and so a few of it's leaves started the shedding process, that was caused by cool nights outdoors, after that I up-potted this fig tree.

These photos were taken Friday May 13th 2016
P1080785.JPG.jpg
P1080785.JPG.jpg (9.69 MiB) Viewed 3287 times
P1080791.JPG.jpg
P1080791.JPG.jpg (9.01 MiB) Viewed 3287 times
alanmercieca
Site Admin

Post by alanmercieca »

Photos taken 11 weeks and 3 days later on Monday August 1st 2016, here is a new photo update of the Aldo fig tree that I will send you bare root
P1090572_cropped.jpg
P1090572_cropped.jpg (7.23 MiB) Viewed 3287 times
P1090581_cropped.jpg
P1090581_cropped.jpg (4.15 MiB) Viewed 3287 times
P1090588_cropped.jpg
P1090588_cropped.jpg (6.14 MiB) Viewed 3287 times
CyntheB

Post by CyntheB »

alanmercieca wrote:
Photos taken 11 weeks and 3 days later on Monday August 1st 2016, here is a new photo update of the Aldo fig tree that I will send you bare root
Looks gorgeous, Alan. Thanks so much!! My garden helper is getting the fig bed filled with great soil for it.
Flowers, Fruit Trees & Homegrown Veggies!
CyntheB

Post by CyntheB »

eFIG-Aldo-MidOCT_h7356.jpg
eFIG-Aldo-MidOCT_h7356.jpg (726.96 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
This is the Aldo's fig Alan propagated and shipped to me in mid-June. The bare root tree suffered terrible heat shock when the mail person left the shipping box in the sun in front of our house. June is brutal ~ our hottest, driest month in northern AZ. It lost all its leaves and had some dieback on the young branches.

The baby tree recovered after being planted in a pot and given a lot of loving attention. I planted it in a specially prepared raised bed just after the first week of August. So this is 10 weeks since it's been in the ground. Lots of new leaves and sprouts growing up from beneath the soil, too. Now I have to decide how I am going to get it through its first zone 7b winter here.
Flowers, Fruit Trees & Homegrown Veggies!
alanmercieca
Site Admin

Post by alanmercieca »

CyntheB wrote:
This is the Aldo's fig Alan propagated and shipped to me in mid-June. The bare root tree suffered terrible heat shock when the mail person left the shipping box in the sun in front of our house. June is brutal ~ our hottest, driest month in northern AZ. It lost all its leaves and had some dieback on the young branches.

The baby tree recovered after being planted in a pot and given a lot of loving attention. I planted it in a specially prepared raised bed just after the first week of August. So this is 10 weeks since it's been in the ground. Lots of new leaves and sprouts growing up from beneath the soil, too. Now I have to decide how I am going to get it through its first zone 7b winter here.
I was thinking about it, when they are small they rot much easier as I already told you. I think you should use your idea of wire with pine needles making a ring of pine needles around each tree not touching them, make each ring higher than each tree. If you make the ring high enough then you can also cover the rings with something for insulation like this stuff https://jobescompany.com/product/easy-g ... g-blanket/